Thursday, 20 June 2013

Crochet Cardi

When I saw this in Simply Crochet magazine,  it was one of those "why didn't I think of that " moments.  Noro or any similarly dyed yarn is perfect for crochet as it creates great stripes.
As is often the case with me and Crochet, I couldn't get the gauge required, so I did have fewer stitches in the row than directed, but I did the decreases exactly as in the pattern and it worked fine.
I did use a 3mm hook for the bottom, followed by 2.5mm and then finally the 2.25mm hook for the rest.  This has made a slightly flared lower edge which looks better than straight sides for me.  I used a 2.5mm hook for the edging (except the bottom edge in 3mm), as I found the 2.25mm a little tight.   The yarn is Noro kureyon sock.

Thursday, 6 June 2013

Mum's Birthday Sweater

 Bit of a rush to finish this in time for Mum's birthday, but here is her birthday sweater!  The pattern was in Knitting Magazine recently (more details on Ravelry) but was knitted in bamboo cotton.  We were unable to find this yarn or a substitute she liked, so settled on this wool/polyamid yarn from Patons - Soft Tweed.  The yarn was hard work as it was slubby and didn't slip off the needles well, probably not the best choice for a lace sweater.  The other issue with it is as a single ply it has twisted slightly as you can just see in the photo.  It really isn't noticeable when worn, and it may settle a bit with wear.
 The other problem I had with this sweater was that I couldn't make the gauge, so I decided to use that to my advantage.  Mum is very curvy and sweaters that fit at the shoulders are too tight across the chest, for example.  So I did the bottom section in a 4mm needle, half a pattern in 3.75, the waist section in 3.25, then half a pattern in 3.75 and the bust area in 4mm.  After the armholes I went to 3.25 to make the shoulders narrow.  As you can see from the photo above, there is a distinct curve in this edge which shows the effect of the shaping.
 You can see the effect clearer here - this is a shot of the waist to the armhole before sewing up, and the change is obvious.  This sweater should have been the same width from top to bottom, but changing needles is a great way to introduce some gentle shaping without the palaver of having to increase/decrease in a lace pattern.
Here is the pattern after washing - the circles at the bottom edge are fiddly but very unusual and distinctive.  It was a hard knit, but Mum loves it so that's all that matters.