Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Using up my stash Part 3 - Hemp Yarn

 A few years ago, I bought some hemp yarn at Woolfest and ever since I've been mulling over what to do with it.  Taking the plunge was difficult as I had never used this yarn before, did not have a huge quantity and couldn't find a pattern I liked.
 In the end I went for a Drops pattern I had in my collection and I think the yarn worked really well with it; the crochet stitches are clear and I found it easy to work.  I'd definitely think about using it again.  At present the yarn feels a bit stiff but I am told it softens over time.
 The other issue with this yarn was the gauge.  The advice from the maker was to bear in mind the garment may stretch and end up bigger.  I therefore didn't worry too much about being a little over gauge.  This photo shows it before was washed and dried - you can just see that the tape measure reaches 10 inches.
 To my surprise, after washing and drying it now measures 9 inches!  This was not what I expected.  But I didn't actually block it as it was a dreadful drying day, so I'm wondering if I block it properly, would it be bigger?  It still fits, so I am going to wear it now to see what happens with the size!
Here's a close-up of the pattern, with the front border attached.  A pretty pattern and fun to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment