Tuesday, 1 January 2013

  I love to crochet and try to have a project on the go if I can, it's a nice change from knitting.  I got Dora Ohrenstein's excellent book Custom Crocheted Sweaters for my birthday and decided to use up some of my stash on this motif top.  What's clever and unusual about it is that the two sides are made up of different motifs.   I'd never have thought of that.
 While some tops made of motifs use different numbers of squares for sizing, this pattern just has sides added, I confess I adapted a bit at this point with the stitch pattern.  I knew that by using wool, I would be able to block it to the size and shape I wanted,  so I made it wider at the bottom than at the top as I have narrow shoulders.
 Here's a close-up of the square motif.  Both motifs are charted, which makes it a lot easier since the book is written in American terms, which can be confusing.
This is the fan motif, which is my favourite. The shoulders are shaped using rows with different stitches creating different heights along their length, a technique I've used myself for shaping and something that simply cannot be done in knitting.  If youblike crocheting garments, this book is well worth getting as it is full of good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment