Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Addictive Knitting

After spending a solid three months knitting for other people, I decided to make something for myself.  What could be nicer, I thought, than some relaxed knitting now the Christmas rush was over?  Big mistake. I picked a pattern - Framboise - by Sarah Hatton (published in The Knitter a few months ago), and I should have known better.  The last design of hers which I knitted was the Bayberry Wrap, and I couldn't put it down, it became an obsession.  As did this.  I don't know what it is about her designs, I just have to keep at it, one more row of the chart, then I'll stop, I thought.  I never did.

There are similarities between this pattern and the Bayberry Wrap, both are designed from the middle outwards.  In this case I knitted the top on straight needles rather than circs because I didn't have a big enough circular and I'm trying to stop keep buying needles.  So it was knitted straight and seamed along one diagonal.  The photo doesn't really do it justice, it looks a bit uneven in places but really isn't, just isn't designed to be hung on a hanger and gingerly balanced on a sash window for the purposes of photography.  It flatters the figure well, the diagonal increases creating a slight flare at the hips and shoulders. 

By pure chance the yarn I chose happened to be the one recommended.  I tend to have list on my person of "x000m 4 ply, x000m DK", often without a note of what the pattern actually is.  So when I found myself in my local wool shop fingering the gorgeous new SMC Select Alpaca/Wool 4 ply, I had no idea that this was what I was going to knit with it, or that this was the very yarn used in the pattern.  But it has worked very well.  As my Other Half said last week when he saw me knitting and enquired what it was, "Well, you can never have too many sweaters, can you?"  I think he was making some kind of point, not quite sure what...


5 comments:

  1. If this isn't predestination? You were meant to knit this for yourself. It's lovely and full of promises of springtime. Missing the Mad Gardener BTW.....???? Regards Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabi
    Many thanks. Gardening has been a non-starter for weeks and weeks due to the weather. Must do my seed order though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis sweater so beautiful. I love it so much. Can you share this pattern for me plz? My email is: phuthuy.nguyen@gmail.com. THanks you so much. I look forward to hearing from you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Framboise pattern of Sarah Hatton. I don't know how to get this pattern from her site or the knitter. Can you share this pattern to me, plz?I would be very grateful if you share me this pattern. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Best Ragards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pattern is published in The Knitter issue 35, it doesn't seem to have been published elsewhere, so you would need to find a copy if the magazine. Sorry I can't help any more.

    ReplyDelete