Thursday, 15 September 2011

Crochet Cable Sweater


I'm on a drive to get some projects finished to make space for more Christmas knitting.  This week's achievement is my crochet cable sweater.  The pattern is from Inside Crochet magazine March 2011 and I just had to do it as soon as I saw it.  I found some Patons wool tweed DK, which is really a kind of light aran weight, which  was just perfect for this.  It's made a lovely thick, warm sweater for the winter.  As you can see, there are cables up the front, while the rest of the sweater is worked in a Basket stitch.
Here's a close-up of the cable panel  It's worked separately from the rest of the body, which is worked in one piece.  On the right is a right twisting cable, then a bobble, another cable and another bobble.  These panels are balanced on the other side by a left twisting cable and bobbles.  The centre cable is to the left of this photo.  Making crochet cables is fiddly and there is no crochet equivalent of the cable needle.  Instead, you work one or two stitches to "move" the cable, then the following stitches have to be worked in front or behind the stitches you've just done.  Can be awkward, but ok once you get the hang of it.

The bulk of the sweater is worked in a basket stitch made up of relief stitches (where you work around the bar of the stitch below instead of into the top) and trebles.  I really enjoyed this project, the only slight worry I have is the width of the neck.  Having narrow shoulders it's a bit wide for me.  I've still got a little yarn left so I'm going to wear it once and then see whether I need to add another row of stitches on each end.  But I'm definitely converted to crochet cables and would like to do more of this in the future.

Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Bias Jumper Finished!

So here's my August impulse knit finished. I was wearing it all day before taking this photo, hence the crease near the bottom, which I didn't notice until I downloaded the pic! The pattern called for a mohair yarn held double, but I used a machine knitting yarn instead. The yarn was oiled so if you compare these photos with those in the previous post you will see it looks a lot fluffier now it's washed. Using machine yarns is always a bit of a gamble, but it paid off as it's a lovely light autumn sweater, with the feel of 3 ply or light 4 ply. An incredibly clever construction, the only sewing you have to do afterwards is the underarm and side seams. The only problem I had is that one sleeve seems to be slightly longer than the other!
Here's a close-up, where you can see the lower front, joined to the middle front and the pattern detail. I'm fully converted to the possibilities of short-row knitting now and have ideas mulling around in my brain about further projects in this technique.
Here's a sleeve detail, the pattern runs down the outside of the arm. It's certainly a striking sweater, the bias construction is flattering and it was so much fun to knit, even if the instructions took a little deciphering at times!

Back to the gansey now...