Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Bias Jumper Finished!

So here's my August impulse knit finished. I was wearing it all day before taking this photo, hence the crease near the bottom, which I didn't notice until I downloaded the pic! The pattern called for a mohair yarn held double, but I used a machine knitting yarn instead. The yarn was oiled so if you compare these photos with those in the previous post you will see it looks a lot fluffier now it's washed. Using machine yarns is always a bit of a gamble, but it paid off as it's a lovely light autumn sweater, with the feel of 3 ply or light 4 ply. An incredibly clever construction, the only sewing you have to do afterwards is the underarm and side seams. The only problem I had is that one sleeve seems to be slightly longer than the other!
Here's a close-up, where you can see the lower front, joined to the middle front and the pattern detail. I'm fully converted to the possibilities of short-row knitting now and have ideas mulling around in my brain about further projects in this technique.
Here's a sleeve detail, the pattern runs down the outside of the arm. It's certainly a striking sweater, the bias construction is flattering and it was so much fun to knit, even if the instructions took a little deciphering at times!

Back to the gansey now...

No comments:

Post a Comment