Sunday, 7 August 2011
Back in May, I got a coned yarn remnant, a silk/cotton mix and started working on it for a summer sweater. As you can see, the yarn is a bit slubby and it turned out to be hard work knitting due to the bobbles. My fault, for choosing to work it the way I did, but it has turned out fairly well. The first thing about yarns designed for working by machine is that they're often oiled, as was this, so the finished look is never what it looks like at the start.
So my tension swatch was washed to see how it would work out, you can see in the photo above that the washed yarn fills out compared to the work on the needles. So my stitch numbers took the changed tension into account. I knitted it on small needles, 2mm, which I wanted to do so as to make it a dense fabric, which it certainly did, though it made the knitting harder work. As it turned out, sloshing the sweater around in the machine for a while actually made it softer and more "felted" than even this photo shows. The finished sweater has a lovely feel to it.
The design was simple - a wide base without rib, narrowing to the waist and I decided on three-quarter sleeves, mostly because I wanted to finish it! I wanted to wear this over loose blouses and tunics, so it's a wide fit below the armholes. Looks loads better on than in the picture.
But you can see one problem with the yarn in the photo - the little bobble in the bottom of the sweater on the right is because the side seam has moved round to the front. The yarn is a single ply, and these are prone to twisting. I did realise this was happening part way through the knit, but hoped I would be able to fix it in the drying. I wasn't able to do this, so both seams are twisted slightly. It looks fine on though, not noticeable. If I had knitted in a broken rib rather than stocking stitch, it would have helped prevent this level of twisting.
I do like experimenting with different yarns and this was a great experience. The sweater will be good for an average British summer, and is lovely and soft. I have quite a lot of yarn left, so I'm going to remove it from the cone so I can wash and measure it and hopefully knit or crochet something else with it next summer.