Thursday, 30 June 2011

Woolfest 2011

It's two years since I last went to Woolfest, so I really enjoyed my visit last Friday. It was interesting to see the changes in the last two years; more spinning, more laceweight yarns, more unusual fibres. I checked out all the sheep, my favourites were the Ouessant, the lambs were a good match for my cat in size, so tiny. Anyway, the first thing I did was sign up to Inside Crochet magazine. I didn't actually know there was a crochet magazine here, I said as much to the chap on the stall. He looked at me in shock and said "But it's in WH Smith". Like there's one on every corner, of course. Well, the nearest shop is several miles away and I don't go there very often, certainly not to look for a magazine I didn't know existed. Not all of us live and work in towns, you know (he clearly didn't!).

Anyway, I got an excellent goody bag (above), managed to blag an extra back issue on top. I got 750m of yarn yard 4 ply, which I know is lovely from experience, a large ball of sock wool, a couple of patterns, some moisturiser and various bits and pieces. And I was able to go through a box of books and pick a free book - I chose Lily Chin's Power Cables book, which I'd had my eye on already. So that was a really good start to the day.
This is silk roving, a good quantity which I really must spin up over winter, though I do have a stockpile of fibre already. Love these colours, just gorgeous.
And here's a pair of mohair socks from the Woolclip, Mum and I bought a pair last time too. They're particularly good for getting inside shoes which aren't quite big enough for 4 ply socks. Great hand dyeing too.
And this is hemp, I had my eye on it last time but didn't buy any. This time I spent a ridiculous amount of time selecting these colours. Of course, I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do with it, but that's half the fun!

We had a great day, lots to look at, I gazed lovingly at lots of yarn but there is a limit to the size of my purse in the midst of a recession. So I've stored lots up in my memory for next year. Now I have to get on with what I have, and I do have a lot in my stash!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,
    I wish I could have made it to Woolfest - it looks like it was fun, and you certainly got a good deal!

    I live in Preston, and our WHS carries Crochet Today! as well as Inside Crochet (I have the online subscription).

    I'm interested in trying hemp for a shopping bag, I might treat myself.

    Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline
    Thanks for dropping by. I do recommend you try to get to Woolfest next year, it's a great experience though an easy way to spend money! I have since discovered that our nearest WH Smith does carry crochet mags, though I rarely go there so will stick with my subscription. I bought my hemp from www.thehouseofhemp.co.uk, if that's useful for you.

    ReplyDelete