Thursday, 23 June 2011

Wimbledon Knitting

With several hours of tennis on the TV every day, I need something to occupy my hands, so I have been getting a lot of knitting done. While I'm continuing with my silk/cotton sweater, I decided to start a new project. Some weeks ago, I asked the question on Ravelry "does anyone knit/wear wool socks in summer?" I'm programmed for wool socks in winter, but summer? After I asked the question I spent a couple of weeks sitting in the evening with freezing feet as it has been unusually cold and wet here for the last month. So I suppose the answer is "I do"!

Knitting magazine included a sock pattern supplement this month, with summer socks in there so I decided to have a go. I picked this lacy pattern and got some wool out of my stash. It's a 3 ply, so a bit fine for socks generally, but nice and fluffy as I think it has some angora in it.
The pattern is nice and fairly easy, so suitable for tennis knitting. Here's the pattern along the foot, dead easy, just 2 pattern rows out of 4. The heel was supposed to be done in short rows, but I've only every done a short row heel once and the pattern instructions looked like they'd been written in German, translated into Japanese and then into English. Incomprehensible, so I just did my standard heel.
Just above the ankle there is a nice diamond pattern repeated four times around the leg.
And the top has a special pattern which creates a firm fabric which stays up, without the need for ribbing. So I've finished one sock, should be able to get the second one done by the end of Wimbledon. It's a nice, airy construction so not too hot, just enough to keep my tootsies warm.

Tomorrow I'm off to Woolfest, am going to try to restrain my spending. Let's see how I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment