Sunday, 27 February 2011

And now for something a bit different

My knitting progresses, but it's really not very interesting since it looks the same as my last post, so I though I would post something different. I learned to make lace some years ago but haven't done any since. I have another project "brewing" (more on that in a few weeks hopefully) and thought about using some lace in it. I think I've changed my mind on that, but started the lace anyway. After a revision course, I picked up a simple "ground" lace pattern. If you look at the top of the picture, you'll see my efforts are not wholly successful early on, with the lace looking like a wiggly worm, but it does get better as I started to remember the extra twists on the edges to stop it distorting. The "pillow" is a block of polystyrene I got in the kit which taught me how to do lace, the plastic bobbins also came with the kit.

Lace is not difficult technically as there are only a few "stitches", but you do have to concentrate to make sure you work the bobbins in the right order and direction, plus stop them twisting out of position. I'm going to try to do a bit more of this.

Those of my readers who also visit ganseys.com will know that Gordon over there is an avid breadmaker. I'm not going to try to compete with him on that subject, but thought I would post this picture of Italian Semolina Bread as I'm really rather proud of it. I recently found a big bag of semolina in my local Tesco, and after using it successfully in shortbread, thought I'd try this loaf. It's basically half semolina, half white flour. The outside is covered with sesame seeds, and it makes a really nice dense slice for open sandwiches, going especially well with peanut butter, I've found. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    The bread looks great. I shy away from sesame seeds and other coatings because I can't get the little blighters to stay on long enough, and end up covered in a sort of sesame dandruff. I should think the bread toasts well, too - if it lasts long enough, that is...!

    Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Gordon, it was delicious! The trick to keeping coatings on is a glue made out of cornflour mixed to a medium thick paste and then blasted in the microwave for 10 seconds or so until it is glossy and paintable. Works a treat.

    ReplyDelete