Saturday, 15 January 2011

Spring Knitting

At this time of year I tend to start knitting things with spring in mind - shorter sleeves, lighter yarn. The first thing I finished was this alpaca/silk mix cardi. It was supposed to be short sleeved but the yarn went a long way - it's a Noro pattern and like many Noro patterns they were generous with the yarn requirements. So I completely finished the body before knitting the sleeves and was able to make them elbow length as a result. It's a lovely cardi, light but warm.
Next was part 3 of the Bayberry Wrap, a Knit-Along for subscribers to The Knitter magazine. It's 2.5m long, and this month we did a feather and fan pattern to finish the ends. This is knitted in an undyed Blue Faced Leicester I got in the remnant store nearby. Just one more month to go for this.
And then I did another Noro pattern, another short-sleeved cardi but this time in my own handspun alpaca. I did the edges in an undyed, well-twisted handspun to prevent the alpaca stretching too much. I'm really pleased with this - I still had some alpaca left over at the end, and it the fleece cost me £8.50, so it was a bargain! I wasn't fussy about the spinning, so you can see faint stripes as the bleached tips came in and out. A nice effect, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment