Saturday, 25 September 2010

It's that time of year again...

Summer knitting behind me, and the nights drawing in, it's time to get out the wool and start winter knitting. Having made a reasonably successful attempt at Sanquhar gloves last year, I've started on another pair, this time in the Prince of Wales pattern. I learned a lot from the last pair, and picked yarn which was 3 ply thickness, 1.5mm needles from the start, and met the 10.5 sts to 1 in gauge straight away. More on the yarn below, but one change I've made since last time is to knit using 5 needles. Traditionally I knit on 4 in the round (the British way) but having struggled with ladders and seen suggestions that knitting on 5 helps, I've tried it and it does make a difference, the angles between the needles are not nearly as acute.

I've now finished the two colour rib and started on the spot banding. The last pair took 2 months, so I hope to have them finished by December, at a rate of an hour or two per day - more than that is a bit torturous given the tiny needles, but these gloves are very hard to put down!

The yarn for the gloves is new, the brown an undyed welsh black, both machine knitting yarns from Fairfield Yarns. I've been meaning to go for months, but have concentrated on using up my stash, so yesterday I finally got there. It's an Aladdin's cave, full of all sorts of things and I had a good rummage. The orange yarn above was an unusually small cone, but perfect for the gloves - in reality, machine yarns are the only ones thin enough for Sanquhar gloves. Above is a cone of undyed Blue Faced Leicester, so, so soft and this will be good for dyeing.
I also found this british wool - a light grey/dark grey ply around 3 ply weight. No idea what I'm going to do with it, I just liked it.
And this for my Other Half's Christmas Sweater - if he likes it. I've knitted up a swatch and washed it (the yarn is well oiled for machining) and it looks rather nice. So I'll see if it will be suitable for Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment