Wednesday, 25 August 2010

18th Century Stockings

Now I love wearing wool skirts in the winter but find my legs get cold. This is the answer - a pair of knitted stockings. I made them from a pattern on Ravelry, or rather directions as to how to calculate the number of stitches and exact shaping to fit my legs. The instructions were great, but I did have a couple of problems.

First, a long-standing difficulty I have when knitting in the round - tight, tense fingers resulting in a tight knit. This long project has really helped me to get out of this habit, though the resulting difference in gauge is quite apparent. I hope my second pair will be more even.

I also had problems with ladders. This is unusual for me, and I think that the yarn (a synthetic/natural mix) has something to do with it, but the biggest problem is that knitting with 4 needles creates tight angles and hence ladders. So I really need to knit with 5 - unfortunately my 2mm needles only come in sets of 4. So the next pair will be knitted with a set of 5 x 1.75mm needles which will be a better fit for the yarn now I have relaxed my knitting and I hope this will also resolve the ladders problem.

The heel and toe are done with a three needle bind off, which I've never done before and that was fun. I think my next pair will have a modern heel and toe though. All in all, an interesting project which I will build on for my next project.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, just what I could do with!

    I've only had problems with ladders on DPNs when using 5 needles, I'm fine with 4!! Horses for courses I suppose.

    Must go look for that pattern ...

    ReplyDelete