Wednesday, 10 March 2010

My First Shawl

I've been knitting for over 35 years and had never made a shawl. Maybe it's more popular in America than in the UK - when I joined Ravelry I was astonished at the number and variety of shawl patterns available. So I saved one in my favourites until later. It's called Traveling Woman.

It actually only took a few days, and I did enjoy it though I had to concentrate hard. It's so easy to miss a yarn over in these patterns, and that throws you off. The pattern was easy to follow, and I quickly got the hang of it, so I can safely say I am now a shawl knitter. My only regret was not having more than one skein of yarn - I would have liked to make it bigger.
This week I finally finished spinning the alpaca I bought last June at Woolfest. I have 5 skeins of it, and it is lovely yarn. It will sit around for a few months now while I think about what to make with it. I've now moved on to spinning up some samples I got when I bought a full fleece in 2008 (yes, 2008! and that fleece is still largely unspun), along with a small quantity of a fleece I picked up on the moors near here last summer. It's all destined to be sock yarn for next winter - 51 yards done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment