Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Crochet

I started crochet later than knitting - in my late teens, as my Mum had never learned herself. So I taught myself from books and magazines; my technique may not be classical, but it works. Still, I do need practice so I joined a Crochet-Along on Ravelry, in which QueenieAmanda publishes a new flower motif each month till the end of the year. This is the first one - Jonquil, and I'm quite pleased with it. A bit different from granny squares!

In other projects, I'm about to put my skirt aside for a little while as I need the circular needle it's on for a shawl I'm anxious to knit. My granny squares are progressing, and I'm now working on a new knitting design which is fiendishly difficult - at present I can't quite work out why the second piece doesn't match the first. Will think about it tomorrow when my brain is fresher. I always have several projects on the go at the same time - I don't like to be bored knitting, and I do find big projects get a bit tedious. So it was nice to make a flower this afternoon...

3 comments:

  1. A question for you - how do you pronounce 'crochet'? It's a word I hardly ever use, so I haven't got a way of saying it, if you see what I mean. My Mum (ex-North Yorks) used to pronounce it 'crow-sher', but I never knew if that was just the regional way, or if it was more general. Enlightenment would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard
    I think the general pronunciation is crow-shay. But I have heard the variation you recall, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! My Mum and Nan used to say 'crow-sher', and I know the 'correct' way is 'crow-shay', but I wondered if it was one of those scone/scon things :)

    Thanks for the reassurance.

    ReplyDelete