Tuesday, 17 November 2009

The Knitting Marathon Continued...


Once I finished Christmas project number two, I moved straight on to number three. This is a sleeveless coat, by Debbie Bliss. A really easy, fairly unshaped design, I'm over half way through the back now. The yarn is lovely, a single ply yarn with nobbly bits of other colours and unevenly spun. The pattern is broken rib (1 row of K1 P1, one row of purl) and so it's an easy television knit for me. Hope to get it finished by the end of next week so I can get on to my final Christmas knit.

In the meantime, I need to find time for my sanquhar gloves, my bedjacket, spinning and the making of the Christmas puddings. Lots to do, so little time!

Monday, 9 November 2009

Christmas Present No 2

This evening I finished Christmas Present No 2, for my Mum. This is a shot of it before blocking. I shortened the top and made some adjustments to the pattern, you can find details on my project on Ravelry. The colours are a bit nicer than they look on the photo. I like knitting in the round, but doing the top is hard work, with the weight of the whole sweater on the needles. Anyway, Mum loves it, she has tried it on twice as I needed to make some changes, and she has told me it will be an heirloom which I inherit!
This weekend I also completed another two skeins of Balwen yarn, a little over 100 yards in total. I'm finally making progress with my big bag of fleece!

Monday, 2 November 2009

The Shoe Box Method

I'm making an effort to do an hour's spinning every day - I have a lot of Balwen fleece still to get through, before moving on to the Alpaca and Blue Faced Leicester. I plyed another 48 yards this afternoon, using my favourite shoebox. Yes, a shoebox. Most people buy gadgets to hold bobbins when they ply yarn, but I'm the thrifty sort and I read in the Women's Institute Book of Country Crafts that a shoebox makes a good substitute. A couple of odd knitting needles poked through the side of a strong box on which the bobbins are suspended. Easy and cheap.
Following my pledge to use up something in my stash cupboard (this includes lots of fabric) each week, here is this week's effort. Some months ago I knitted a bag out of recycled curtain fabric, but it sheds a bit so I have now added a lining to it. It's made out of left-over curtain lining and is now home to my sanquhar glove knitting - have started the second glove this weekend.