Monday, 19 October 2009

Weekend Knitting

So I started the Christmas knitting this weekend, beginning with this sweater - Lochalsh - from The Knitter Magazine issue 9. This is the bottom border, just a couple of coloured rows to do at the top now and it's plain knitting up to the yoke. It's knitted in the round, bottom up. This is the first big fairisle project I've done since I switched to knitting portuguese style (I got some practice on the Sanquhar first) and I have to say that I'm knitting fairisle faster than before using this technique. Once you get the hang of the pattern, it's easy, but it took a while to get the right number of stitches on the needles at the increase - I counted them several times but didn't get it right. Is it just me or is it much harder to count stitches on circular needles than on straight?

I really love the picot edge which is done rather cleverly with a row of yo/k2tog stitches sandwiched between two sets of stocking stitch. Then you fold it back and knit the cast on edge into another row to form the nice edge. Having done this before, I was aware you can get out of synch - you should just match cast on stitch to needle stitch but somehow it doesn't quite work out that way and you go off course. So I checked regularly and corrected by "missing" a stitch every so often. All in all, a nice project and easy TV knitting.
This is the Sanquhar so far - I'm almost up to putting stitches aside for the thumb, should get there today. It's looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment